Around the world and in the US, industrial development was growing increasingly dangerous and for 150 years continued to produce deadly smog and pollution that was believed to cause delays in children’s development.
Almost 48 years ago on April 22, 1970, people took matters into their own hands and began protesting these negative impacts of the industry after a massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, CA. The first rally saw 20 million people demonstrate for healthy, sustainable environmental laws. Their voices were heard and by the end of the year, we saw the formation of the Environmental Protection Agency, and the passage of the Clean Air, Clean Water and Endangered Species act. Since then, this day has been set aside globally to celebrate and highlight ways to continue to protect the earth and the environment.
Earth Day 2018
Per the organization that leads Earth Day worldwide, Earth Day Network, this year’s Earth Day will focus on ending plastic pollution. Their goals include creating support to eliminate single-use plastics as well as regulating globally how plastics are disposed of. There are also simple ways to participate and help protect the earth year-round. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Stop using disposable plastics and try reusable bags and bottles.
- Say no to plastic straws, especially when at restaurants.
- Join a river, park, or beach cleanup in your area.
- Plant a tree.
- Carpool, use public transportation, drive an electric or hybrid car, or ride your bike to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Use cloth towels instead of paper towels.
- Use online billing instead of paper billing.
- Unplug all electronics that are not being used, including your computer at night.
What changes will you make to help the environment? Share with us in the comments below.
Essentia + Earth Day
Here at Essentia, Earth Day is every day for us. We create eco-friendly products that are not only beneficial to you, but also to the environment. One way we do this is by making our mattresses bio-degradable. At the end of its life, your Essentia mattress will biodegrade in just 3 years when exposed to the elements; wind, rain, or sun. Essentia products are also vegan and produced in a zero-waste facility.
Keep an eye out on our social media pages this year, as we’ll be celebrating Earth Day in big ways!